One of the biggest health issues that the world is presently experiencing is inarguably stress. Considering the inescapable social, political and economic mayhem that people from all around the world are experiencing now from COVID19, we can safely assert that no one regardless of age will be spared from the stress of life. Stress can transform itself into a chronic and toxic passion that surfaces itself as a habit after a while. Experiencing stress incessantly for days and months from this pandemic lockdown can take a toll on both your physical and mental health. In the section below are some of the most glaring impacts of chronic stress:
- It alters the structure of the brain – Our brain is made up of the grey matter that facilitates thinking and decision making and white matter that connects with the rest of its parts and transmits information. When the brain starts producing myelin as a consequence of chronic stress, it temporarily disrupts the balance between the grey and the white matter thereby, leading to long-term alteration of the brain’s structure.
- Can lead to mental illness – Stress can contribute to developing mental illnesses such as depression and anxiety disorders.
- Distresses the memory – If you have ever experienced acute stress you will know how it pushes your memory off the tract and fails you when you are trying to recall something very significant. This is because stress depletes your level of memory retention.
- Causes chronic illnesses: Stress hormones can also lead to obesity, high blood pressure, chronic heart disease, diabetes, and an imbalance in the digestive system
- Attacks your sex life: Chronic stress can also lower your libido, ultimately decreasing your sex drive.
As you can see, it is imperative to manage your stress levels. Yes, life is currently throwing us some unexpected curved balls; But it is imperative that we find ways to manage stress when it shows up. There are many ways to manage stress such as exercising, making a spa day on your back porch relaxing, yoga, and finding a creative interest to take up your time. Do whatever works for you, but make sure you are nurturing your mind, body, and spirit in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
WayToParent Magazine is always looking for new voices and empowering stories to add to our platform, If you have an inspiring, empowering, and educational story we’d love to hear from you. Join our tribe.
Contact us : firstname.lastname@example.org